Sun Pony Ranch

Diary of novice (clueless) ranch owners

Friday, February 02, 2007

My 15 minutes

Guess what I did this morning... I went down to a local radio station and was interviewed for Marketplace - a economic news program on NPR!

I know, I was shocked they wanted me too.

Last April I heard they had a call out for people to tell Marketplace about starting up a business and how you financed it. I answered their online questionaire, and then didn't hear back from them so I figured I didn't make the cut.

Then came the Blizzard. Two days later, at the exact moment that I was poised to take pictures while Ginger let the horses out of the barn for the first time in two days, I got a call. Thinking it might be Dave, I answered, but it was a staffer from Marketplace wanting to followup on my responses. I told her it wasn't a good time at the moment, and she agreed to call back in an hour, but started to give me her phone number in case I wanted to call her back. I really didn't, but couldn't exactly stop her. That was when Jordan was just being turned out and he of course started his 'I'm The Boss' squealing that must happen anytime the group has been separated for any appreciable time. To the staffer's credit, she cut herself off and said "I hear animals in the background, I'll let you go!" Hee. Good timing, Jordan.

Anyways, she and I talked and she said they would be in contact. Last week I got another call from Steve Tripoli, the journalist doing this series. He arranged for me to go to KGNU, the public radio station in Boulder, for an interview. This morning.

The series he's working on is how people finance their new businesses. Since we did so by selling our 3 properties and then taking a line of credit on a 4th, and then later securing a private loan, I guess we are pretty much outside of the normal responses they've got.

How was it? Eh. Went into the studio and talked at a guy who wasn't asking me the questions. And I feel like I made a fool of myself. I'm just not a very good on-demand speaker. (I much prefer writing!) I just hope he can perform miracles with his editing. In the end I'm sure I'll only have 15 seconds of air time.

Which could be all the better - leaves me 14:45 in my fame bank!%

He said it would be a few months before the series was all edited and ready to air. You can bet I'll let ya know when that will be... assuming he lets me know!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure it went much better than you think. You always do great in those situations!

2/2/07, 1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I listen to NPR here in IL all the time and I've heard the Marketplace updates. Let me know when it will air and I will be sure to listen. ~Lydia

2/10/07, 6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home